Saturday, January 9, 2010

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire


Over the past two lovely snow days, I took some time off to read a good book. Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire is an inspirational educator's story of how he has become that teacher that he is today. He teaches in downtown, inner city L.A. The thing I liked most about his story is that he is STILL a real-life teacher. Often times many education books are written by people that teach for a year or two then become principals, professors, or motivational speakers. This man is a regular teacher that still gets up every Monday morning to educate young minds.

His story is quite inspirational to say the least. Some of the things that he gets his students to do like movie reviews (over 300 titles in his classroom), full-blown Shakespeare plays every year, and a class rock band are simply amazing! He motivates his students to not only care about school, but rather to care about each other. As a teacher, I would have to say that is one of my "big" goals. I want to be the type of teacher he has become... a life changer!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I love to have my eyes opened up to the GOOD things that are going on in education. I know there are stories like this everywhere, but sometimes it's hard to see them through the muck that is often times associated with education.

I'm very glad I read it, and it makes me excited to go back to school on Monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment